|SLM Media Group is seeking an experienced, versatile, and creative art director. The ideal candidate will have a strong passion for magazine journalism, impressive design chops, and the ability to multi-task and collaborate with others. Benefits include insurance (medical and dental); 401(k) match; and paid vacation, holiday, and sick days. Only serious candidates, willing to relocate to St. Louis, need apply.
- Set and maintain the magazine’s high standards of design, photography, illustration, and production.
- Design and/or review the design of all art-related content for SLM Media Group, including St. Louis , St. Louis At Home , and St. Louis Family magazines.
- Assign photography and illustrations; edit photographs for publication.
- Motivate and manage art staff; recruit and manage interns.
- Manage and oversee marketing, sales, circulation, and digital materials.
- Manage workflow to ensure that deadlines are firmly set and consistently made.
- Oversee art department’s budget.
- Identify and collaborate with talented photographers and illustrators.
- Collaborate with colleagues at SLM Media Group.
- Participate in company-wide decisions as part of the company’s management team.
- Other duties as required.
- A passion for journalism.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Minimum of seven years of publishing experience in designing or art-directing magazines, newspapers, or books.
- Experience in hiring and managing talented illustrators, photographers, and designers.
- Experience in photo art-direction and coordination (still, portrait, event, fashion).
- Expert-level skills in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Sophisticated knowledge of photography, illustration, and typography.
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to multi-task.
- An ability to manage a high volume of work in a fast-paced environment.
- A desire to lead and mentor others to help them perform and grow.
- Adept at balancing fun, professionalism, and creativity.
How to Apply Please send the following materials by Friday, February 6, to editor Jarrett Medlin (firstname.lastname@example.org; put “Art Director” in the subject line):
- A brief introduction describing your background, interests, and qualifications
- A PDF of your resume
- PDF portfolio (or URL for online portfolio)
- Optional: Salary history or salary requirements
About Our Company St. Louis Magazine is the smart, stylish, and sophisticated guide to St. Louis. Winner of multiple City and Regional Magazine Association awards, the publication delivers revealing profiles, discerning guides, in-depth features, informed commentary, and more. The company also publishes St. Louis At Home , an award-winning publication for people who love beautiful design, and St. Louis Family , a parent’s guide to the region.